Phone: (250) 363-6552
Fax: (250) 363-6746
Office: Institute of Ocean Sciences
Field(s) of Research:
- Ocean Climate
- Physical Oceanography
I am a physical oceanographer with research interests in high latitude oceanography and sea ice. With technical and scientific colleagues here at the Institute of Ocean Sciences, I have pioneered the application of aircraft-based techniques to the study of ice-covered oceans. Since 1980, we have carried out a wide variety of ocean measurements using such techniques in the Beaufort Sea, the Arctic Ocean and the myriad channels of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. Recent work has documented temporal variations in the Arctic coastal ocean, over seasonal and longer time scales. We have now records of hydrographic conditions in winter over a 15-year period, and a continuous 7-year record of ocean circulation, ice drift and ice thickness in the southern Beaufort Sea. Our development of reliable techniques for the deployment and recovery of moored instrumentation in ice-covered waters has greatly facilitated the year-round observation of oceanic conditions. The data are providing valuable insights into processes which control the characteristics of the Arctic Ocean: the forcing of the upper ocean by freezing, the ventilation of the Arctic basins, the evolution of pack ice in the thickness distribution of pack ice, and the exchanges of ice and freshwater between the Arctic and temperate oceans. An improving ability to describe the interannual variation in these processes, will facilitate the detection of trends in the Arctic Ocean which may be related to climate variation.
- An observational estimate of volume and freshwater flux leaving the Arctic Ocean through Nares Strait
- Evidence for atmospheric control of sea-ice motion through Nares Strait
- Origins of pingo-like features on the Beaufort Sea shelf and their possible relationship to decomposing gas hydrates
- The effect of structure porosity on the melting of ridge keels in pack ice
- 2. Arctic Climate: Past and Present
- Climate change impacts on the Beaufort Shelf landfast ice.
- Particle fluxes and geochemistry on the Canadian Beaufort Shelf: implications for sediment transport and deposition.
- Sediment transport by sea ice in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas: Increasing importance due to changing ice conditions?
- Trends in draft and extent of seasonal pack ice, Canadian Beaufort Sea
- Wave measurements using upward looking sonars in marginal and polar sea ice regimes
- Climate variability research aided by moored current profiles
- Fluxes through the Northern Canadian Arctic Archipelago
- Geometrical constraints on the evolution of ridged sea ice
- The joint roles of Pacific and Atlantic-origin waters in the Canada Basin, 1997-1998
- Shipping in the Canadian Arctic: Possible climate change scenarios
- Variability of sea-ice draft of Hokkaido in the Sea of Okhotsk revealed by a moored ice-profiling sonar in winter of 1999
- An overview of physical processes in the North Water
- Identifying 'skylites' for AUV operations under pack ice: Insights from ice-draft profiling by moored sonar
- Modelling the evolution of draft distribution in the sea ice pack of the Beaufort Sea
- Sea ice of the northern Canadian Arctic Archipelago
- Shipping in the Canadian Arctic: possible climate change scenarios.
- Wave measurements using upward looking sonar in marginal and polar sea-ice regimes
- Ocean Circulation within the North Water Polyna of Baffin Bay
- Chapter 3: "The ACSYS Sea Ice Programme"
- Detection of features in first-year pack ice by synthetic aperture radar (SAR)
- Hydrographic changes in the Canada Basin of the Arctic Ocean, 1979-1996
- Seasonal ice production within Arctic marginal seas and its role in shallow ventilation of the Canada Basin
- Sound scattering from sea ice: Aspects relevant to ice-draft profiling by sonar
- Flow from the Arctic Ocean through the channels of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago.
- Scientific interpretation of measurements by ice profiling sonar. Invited paper
- Sound scattering by sea ice: Aspects relevant to ice-draft profiling by sonar
- Statistical processing of ice-draft observations from moored sonar
- Tracking the motion of sea ice by correlation sonar
- Arctic Climate Systems System Study: The Canadian Science Plan
- Development of seasonal ice cover in the Beaufort Sea: A view from below
- Development of seasonal pack ice in the Beaufort Sea during the winter of 1991-92: A view from below
- The thickness and ridging of pack ice causing difficult shipping conditions in the Beaufort Sea, Summer 1991
- Water modification on Arctic continental shelves: Seasonal cycle and interannual variation
- Measurement of the topography of sea ice by moored subsea sonar
- Modification of halocline source waters during freezing on the Beaufort Sea shelf: Evidence from oxygen isotopes and dissolved nutrients
- The underside topography of sea ice over the continental shelf of the Beaufort Sea in the winter of 1990
- Draft and movement of pack ice in the Beaufort Sea April 1991-April 1992.
- Draft and movement of pack ice in the Beaufort Sea April 1990-March 1991
- The formation of a haline shelf front in a ice-covered arctic sea
- Topography of the upper and lower surfaces of 10 hectares of deformed sea ice
- A description of water types on the Mackenzie shelf of the Beaufort Sea during winter
- Interannual variability of oceanographic conditions in the southeastern Beaufort Sea
- Date Modified: