Phone: (250) 363-6306
Fax: (250) 363-6306
Office: Institute of Ocean Sciences
Field(s) of Research:
- Physical Oceanography
coastal circulation modelling; biological transport; tidal analysis; river temperature and flow modelling; satellite altimeter analysis; data assimilation.
Ph.D. Institute of Applied Mathematics (1984)University of British Columbia
B.Sc. Mathematics and Physics (1971)Queen's University
M.Sc. Mathematics and Statistics (1973)University of Victoria
- Canadian National Committee for the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
- Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society
- American Geophysical Union
- Atmosphere-Ocean Publication
- Advances in Water Resources (Editorial Board, 1992-1997)
- Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia, 1998-present
- Adjunct Professor, University of Victoria, 2006-present
- Bowhead whales feed on plankton concentrated by estuarine and tidal currents in Academy Bay, Sea of Okhotsk
- Dynamic ocean topography for the northeast Pacific and its continental margins
- Modeling the generation of the Juan de Fuca Eddy
- Resonance and Sea Level Variability in Chesapeake Bay
- Spatial variability in annual sea level variations around the Korean peninsula
- Wind-driven summertime upwelling in a fjord-type lake and its impact on downstream river conditions: Quesnel Lake and River, British Columbia, Canada
- Characterising lake dynamics in a deep fjord lake using sub-pixel temperatures derived from MODIS imagery.
- Tidal current energy assessment for Johnstone Strait, Vancouver Island. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Effects of river discharge, temperature, and future climates on energetics and mortality of adult migrating Fraser River salmon.
- Estuarine and tidal currents in the Broughton Archipelago.
- Tidal energy in the Bering Sea
- Forecasting Fraser River flows and temperatures during upstream salmon migration
- Inhomogeneous sea level rise in the East/Japan Sea
- Modeling the generation of Haida Eddies
- Oceanographic connectivity among marine protected areas on the north coast of British Columbia, Canada.
- Tidal resonance in Juan de Fuca Strait and the Strait of Georgia.
- Transport of surface waters from the Juan de Fuca eddy region to the Washington coast
- Altimeter observations of sea-level variability off the west coast of North America
- Coastal Oyashio South of Hokkaido, Japan.
- M2 tidal dissipation around Vancouver Island: An inverse approach.
- Tides and sea-level variability in the south-west Pacific from TOPEX/Poseidon.
- Dispersion of discharged ship ballast water in Vancouver Harbour, Juan de Fuca Strait and offshore Washington Coast.
- Climate change in the Fraser river watershed: flow and temperature projections
- Considerations in the calculation of vertical velocity in three-dimensional circulation models.
- European green crab, Carcinus Maenas, dispersal: the Pacific experience
- Two-layer tidal modeling of the Yellow and East China Seas with application to seasonal variability of M2 tide
- A representation of tidal currents based on energy flux
- Horizontal transport of marine organisms resulting from interactions between diel vertical migration and tidal currents off the west coast of Vancouver Island
- North Pacific internal tides from the Aleutian Ridge: Altimeter observations and modeling
- Ocean tides from TOPEX/Poseidon sea level data
- Physical and biological processes over a submarine canyon during an upwelling event
- Simulations and Retrospective Analyses of Fraser Watershed Flows and Temperatures
- A high-resolution assimilating tidal model for the northeast Pacific Ocean
- A three-dimensional mixed finite-difference Galerkin function model for the oceanic circulation in the Yellow Sea and the East China Sea
- Current simulations and biological transport for the western continental margin of Vancouver Island.
- Environmental influences on the availability of smooth pink shrimp, Pandalus jordani, to commercial fishing gear off Vancouver Island, Canada
- Modelling diurnal tides and currents off Vancouver Island
- Multi-year meanders and eddies in the Alaska Stream as observed by TOPEX/Poseidon altimete
- Numerical modeling of internal tide generation along the Hawaiian Ridge
- Seasonal current simulations for the western continental margin of Vancouver Island
- Physical Oceanography in Canada, 1995-1998: A Review for the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
- A comparison between rotary velocity spectra from short drifter tracks and a numerical tidal model
- A numerical study of circulation driven by mixing over a submarine bank
- Sensitivity analyses and modifications to the IOS river temperature model
- Tidal correction of TOPEX/POSEIDON altimetry for seasonal sea surface elevation and current determination off the Pacific coast of Canada
- Variability of tidal currents in a wide strait: A comparison between drifter observations and numerical simulations
- Calculation of vertical velocity in three-dimensional, shallow water equation, finite element models
- Flow and temperature models for the Fraser and Thompson Rivers
- Three-dimensional model simulations of tides and buoyancy currents along the west coast of Vancouver Island
- West coast tides during Cascadia subduction zone tsunamis
- Estimates of seasonal flushing times for the Southern Georgia Basin
- Simulating the transport of an algae bloom off the west coast of Vancouver Island
- Three-dimensional model simulations for the north coast of British Columbia
- Vertical Velocity Calculation in a Finite Element Model
- A tidal model for eastern Juan de Fuca Strait and the southern Strait of Georgia
- De-Tiding: Theory and Practice
- Oceanographic features off Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound in summer
- PERD Workshop on Coastal Current Models for Continental Shelves, Kelowna, B.C. June 1-2 1995
- Tidal analysis based on high and low water observations.
- Manual for tidal currents analysis and prediction.
- Manual for tidal heights analysis and prediction
- Date Modified: